Saturday, November 3, 2012

Coffee, Cigarettes, Pencils & Notepads.

The morning gives a new direction on writing sometimes. A clear head can definitely achieve a higher level of clarity on revision of the free writing from yesterday. Ideas come through that you didn't see before. Two new songs are taking form when I usually work on just one at a time. The capo lends a freshness to “untitled song 2” and makes me think Bob Mould. This is probably not surprising to those that know me well, Mould has been a huge influence on me over the years. It's very tempting to flesh some of these ideas out with more instrumentation even though I want to keep this record strictly acoustic and minimal. Reverting to more of a southern rock kinda sound “untitled song 1” comes across as a bit more agitated and rabid than any other composition on this record. Perhaps it's time to spill a different angle on this mellow project. “Ships in Bottles” and “What's For Sale” remain the most popular so far but I am willing to bet one of the new ones may take precedence. 

My writing partner Meshuggah.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment